17 Mar Tips for Choosing Trade Show Giveaways
So you are ready to plan your trade show giveaway items, but you look into the catalog and realize there are literally hundreds of thousands of items to choose from. Almost anything can be branded. So do you choose between so many options? First, you will need decide why you are giving away items and what you want to achieve with these giveaways. The simple answer is “So I can sell more merchandise,” but it will help to look at things on a deeper level. Here are some things to consider:
- The purpose of having a giveaway item is to do just that, give it away. If your item is so expensive that you only give it away to a tiny percent of your guests, it’s not the right item. On the other hand, if you’re trying to give away items and guests refuse the item, or hesitantly take it, it’s also a failure. Pick items that will be used not only at the show, but something your guests will take home with them as well. Think about a tote bag; it can be carried around the show to store all the other stuff they get. Give enough of these away and your logo will be everywhere during the show.
- Your brand and company should stand for quality and a good value, so attach your logo to something also with good quality or value. It does very little good to give away pens, only to have the ink dry up before they are used. It’s far better to tell 100 potential customers “here’s a nice gift” than to tell 500 people “we are cheap.”
- In most cases, you will want your logo to be on the item and easily visible, but you don’t want it to be a huge billboard that people won’t want around. Your logo should be easily visible but not detract from the value of the item.
- You want your item to make it home from the show, not tossed in the trash or, even worse, on the ground. Think about hand sanitizer, chip bag clips, stress balls, and lip balm.
- If you can’t think of items the customers will take home, with the right customer base, you may want to try things for the kids. The customer will love taking something home to the family. People will be thrilled to have something they didn’t have to pick out in an airport gift shop. Plus, they will see it time and time again as the kids play with it. Kids will love inflatable beach balls, frisbees, and flashlights, and more.
- Consider choosing an uncommon item. This is a tough item to choose. A sure success will be to find an item that no other booth is handing out. An item that makes potential customers say, “I have never seen something like this!” or “I want one of these!”